Welcome to month 3, week 4 of our 12 Months of Wellness. This week, we try a new sport or fitness class.
It’s the beginning of our first week in the third month of our 12 Months of Wellness series. To recap, March is all about getting active. So far, we’ve moved more in our daily lives, tracked our moves, and added a strength-training component. This week, we try something new. Is there a wacky sport, new fitness trend, or workout class you’ve always wanted to try? Now’s your excuse to finally give it a go!
Personally, I’ve never been very gifted at, or interested in, ball sports, but I grew up doing dance and gymnastics five or six days a week, and I fell in love with yoga later on. For me, outdoor workouts are for sunny days only, so I know I can’t count on myself to suddenly become a rower or soccer player—it’s just not going to happen. Instead, the workouts I’ve always wanted to try are (no surprise here) indoor group classes, including ballet-inspired fitness classes, step class, spin and yoga, and Pilates. I’ll keep you posted on what I decide to do.
“Try something new” ideas
Not sure what to try? Maybe one of these piques your interest:
- dancing, such as flamenco, salsa, or ballroom
- indoor workouts such as Zumba or indoor rock climbing
- outdoor activities such as Frisbee or kayaking
- group sports such as volleyball, tennis, or badminton
- something completely different, such as taiko or yoga fusion
Do your research
Make note of these tips before deciding what to try:
- Consider something that you won’t have to invest in financially. If you need equipment, see if there’s some that you can borrow or rent.
- If it’s a class, ask if there’s a special offer whereby new students can try their first class for free to see if they like it.
- Not sure where to start looking? Ask your friends for recommendations, or do a quick Google search for activities near you.
- If you like the sound of fitness classes at gyms but aren’t keen on paying that much, look up local community centres to see if they have similar classes at reasonable prices.
Tune in to find out how we’re doing by checking our ongoing Twitter, Facebook, and blog posts. Drop us a line via blog or Facebook comments, or by using the Twitter hashtag #2013alive to let us know how you’re doing on your 2013 journey! And download March’s goal sheet to track your progress.